30 Minutes a Day, For BAE
Life. Is. Hectic. I find myself consistently putting off "me time" in the hopes of making another dent in my never-ending to-do list. The relief I get from each check mark propels the fantasy that, one day, I might be able to truly get on top of things...
But the reality is, our life's to-do list is infinite. And by forgoing self-care in exchange for check marks (aka immediate gratification), you negate the most important relationship in your life: the one with yourself. That being said, the last thing you want is to feel stressed about having to think of ways to squeeze some "me time" into your schedule... which is where a "Self-Care Jar" comes into play.
I heard about this simple DIY idea from a friend. It makes committing to 30 minutes of self-care a day painless. Simply find an old jar laying around your home, jot down different "me time" ideas on strips of paper, and pop them in! The key is to write down things that you'd not only enjoy but also will actually do…
Here are some ideas from my personal jar:
- Light a candle, sit on the floor, and meditate.
- Walk to the grocery store and buy yourself a bouquet of flowers.
- Practice yoga (I personally love doyogawithme.com. They have quick, effective, and free yoga tutorials).
- Take a bath (and if you're feeling extra fancy, throw in some flower petals and bath salts).
- Read a book.
- Go for a walk.
- Paint, draw, or fill in a coloring book.
Taking time to attend to your own care is not a declaration of selfishness, but rather a way of asserting "me too." I've found that having a jar full of "me time" ideas is an effortless way to make self-care a daily practice - having those bad boys at the ready makes taking care of bae just that much easier.